OUR SLOW FASHION VOWS
"This is our promises to you"
We hear and read about slow fashion, consciousness and minimalist shopping everywhere these days and we truly love it. At the same time the words and the meaning behind them are quite fuzzy. The action of shopping itself will of course never be good for our environment but when you do need to shop your choice makes a difference. For us, defining ourselves as a conscious slow fashion brand means that we work to be part of the new way where mass consumption will stop and where we offer consumers better, smarter and more sustainable items.
We want the industry to be more clear about what sustainability and slow fashion truly is about. Therefore we are defining our own vows.
THESE ARE OUR SLOW FASHION VOWS:
- Bukvys items are ethically made in Europe by carefully selected studious and designed to last for a long time.
- Workers in the Bukvy supply chain are working under good conditions without being exploited.
- Bukvy leathers comes from the European meat industry where all parts of the animal are used and well taken care of.
- Bukvy only work with serious European tanneries who take care of the chrome that is used in the tannery process, so it does not harm the environment. Sometimes, using minimal amounts of non-dangerous chrome can be a good thing, as it makes the leather more durable and long-lasting, which is more sustainable in the long run.When chrome is being used it is never the dangerous kind. We don't work with tanneries where dangerous kinds of chemicals are being used. You find our thoughts on leather and sustainability Here.
- We consider how we ship and travel to minimize environmental pollution. Of course in business but also in private.
- Bukvys Vegan alternative to leather will never be made by plastic. Today we use cork which is a sustainable, biodegradable material. Find more info Here.
- We never have and never will throw a bag away. If a bag breaks -we fix it. Sometimes our customer gets a new item but we still fix the old broken one, repair it and sell it to a new owner as vintage. (Psst! Don’t miss our Facebook Community Bukvy People where our own second hand sale takes place, apply here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bukvyfriend/)
It costs more to be a conscious shopper and that is also the way it should be. We are used to pay too little and we compare apples with oranges when choosing between fast fashion and (truly) sustainable brands. To produce cheap items brands cut costs. Items are made somewhere else where people work under conditions that we would never accept for anybody close to us. Production damages the soil and waters in a way we would never let happen close to our own homes.
The conclusion we are getting to is that we need to make shopping important and make it mean something. Treasure the act and let it take time. Call it minimalism, capsule wardrobes, sustainable shopping or another beautiful word – the key is to make it important. When you care you make time for planning, asking questions and that process is also what makes you love and take care of your treasures.
Don't hesitate to get in contact with us if you have a suggestion on what to add or if any questions on the topic would occur.
Oh! To stay inspired we follow a few minimalist/conscious shopper accounts, here comes our favorites:
Elena & Joanna